Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hair ribbons and bows

So I have been asked to show you all how to make some cute hair ribbons and bows, and since I've finally been able to get my ribbons and hot glue gun out I'm ready to go. Now I've realize that it's kind of hard to show how to complete a project with pictures and words online but I will do my best. As I try to keep up with this blog maybe I will get better, but if you don't understand a step, please let me know and I will try to clarify! Alright, here goes nothing =)

So I don't have any flowers today so we will make some bows. First you need some ribbon. How much is up to how big you want it, so for this project just grab a role, or at least a yard. And don't forget your glue stick and plenty of glue. If you're going to make this a bow clip you will need some clips. I bought mine from Sally's Hair Salon. I'm pretty sure that you can buy them from any hair accessories place so just look around. 

Let's get started.

This is the clip that I will be using.
To start fold your first piece over like this. Make sure to burn your ends so your ribbon doesn't fray. Also leave a little tail so that you can see the end when you're done.
When folding with a one sided ribbon, make sure that your design is on the outside.

Your bow should have 4 loops. Keep in mind it doesn't look like a bow yet but now simply put some hot glue between each of the layers. Not to much, you don't want it to bunchy, just enough so that it all sticks together and keeps its shape.

It should look like this when it's all glued together and your ends are cut to the desired length and melted to keep them from unraveling.

Now this parts kind of tricky, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Fold your bow in half towards you and add a drop of glue in the center. Now when you fold down the sides away from you it should look like this picture.

Keeping your bow together- glue a piece of ribbon to the back and bring it all the way around as shown. Glue on your clippy so that part of the ribbon will be covering some of the medal (as shown below). This holds the clip in better than just gluing it onto the outside. You can end here or add a little design to the middle of your bow.


Here, after gluing the clip on, i continued my ribbon around and just twisted it to give it a little design. Another cute touch would be to tie it into a loose knot instead of the twisting. And then cut and burn the end of your ribbon (stop the frays) and glue it in the back somewhere to hide it from the front view.


No comments:

Post a Comment